#ShibbCast - Episode 10 ...a pure finale...

#ShibbCast – Episode 10
…a pure finale…


I know it’s not sunday – as written here unfortunately I was not able to publish the finale on regular schedule. I’m sorry but here it finally is:




This is it. The #ShibbCast’s Melting Mind Sessions are done! And this Episode is not only my favourite one in terms of listening to – it is the one I am most proud of in terms of the arrangement. Productionwise, this is kind of the ‘purest’ result I have been producing so far. This Episode only consists of 6 guitar DI tracks – with no effects on them. I just took the original signal of the Splashbird and did not even put an amp-emulation on it. No EQing, no effects, no frills. The only thing I have been adding to this was iZotope’s Vinyl free plugin – you should definitely check that out. It added a nice warmth to the track. Apart from that the only “production” I have been doing on this, was mastering the track – subtle compression on the fulltrack to add more warmth and slightly sculpting the general stem with a little EQing to make it a little more transparent.

This track was recorded late at night more two months ago (yes – plot twist: The finale was already done before I even started broadcasting the #ShibbCast). For this track, recording and composing were happening at the same time. I just set myself a ¼ clicktrack and started recording – no timing pattern gave me the opportunity to change the central timing pulse according to what I felt sounded right. Most of the track carries a 6/8 bar, but sometimes it changes to something slightly out of rhythm. Since there is not even a beat underneath it, the notes just flow over each other – and this is the reason for the choice of the video. Actually it really captures what I had in mind for it. Even the duck flying away in the end is a perfect match: Not only for the composition itself, but as the end of the first season.

Not setting a certain central timing pulse was not the only thing I have done this time which was completely new to me: I have never recorded a track consisting only of guitar DI signals and not shaping them with at least a clean amp simulation. So this is the time to say thank you again to AlexArts, who has been building my Splashbird in 2015 – I love this guitar ever since and no other guitar I have been holding in my hands since then feels and sounds as good as the Splashbird does to me. (Of course I’m biased. It’s my signature model. I love it. I’m not telling other guitars are not as good as this one!) This guitar lets me discover so many facets I’ve never been tapping into before – like composing a track with only DI-Signals. My main guitar before having the Splashbird was a Schecter S-1 Elite model (not in production anymore, link goes to most similar model) – a pretty good sounding financially feasible guitar. But I know that this track would not have sounded as warm, mellifluous and transparent with the DI-Signals of the Schecter.

The progress of the Melting Mind Sessions was very satisfying to me. It started out as a challenge to myself, if I was actually able to publish a track once a week, that does not sound like last week’s track and still is satisfying to me. I failed at that challenge with the last step ‘cause my computer broke down – haha BUT: I discovered that it’s doable and I already thought of a concept for season 2 of the #ShibbCast, which will be coming in a few weeks time – promised!

So for those of you being curious how I would describe the Episodes of the Melting Mind Sessions, here’s the list:

  • Episode 1: Progressive, experimenting with “not-genre-like-atmospheres”.
  • Episode 2: Pretty straight forward with a good level of energy in it.
  • Episode 3: Painting a sketch with one crunchy main guitar and adding colour with additional instruments.
  • Episode 4: Creating loops with samples and guitars and arranging a song out of bricks.
  • Episode 5: Trying to write something heavy (tuned way too low) but feeling to relaxed to actually go brutal.
  • Episode 6: Experiencing discomfort, cold and the unbearable feeling of screaming inside.
  • Episode 7: Going home too late at night, happily exhausted. (I’d say this is the most “Berlin-Sounding” episode of this season.)
  • Episode 8: Basically metalcore with tech-elements and accompanying ambience guitars. This really stimulates my imagination.
  • Episode 9: Straight forward no-frills hardrock with ska elements. Although I love complexity in music, sometimes easy and straight is more than “good enough”.
  • Episode 10: Purity & warmth.

As you can see, even short descriptions of the track differ pretty much from each other, which was part of the goal: As mentioned above, I wanted to create a set of 10 episodes that do not sound too much alike. I am happy, because I think I succeeded. And this thought is proof for me:

The Melting Mind Sessions are indeed a success.

I have been learning a lot, working relaxed, working under pressure, encountering different difficulties and overcoming them. …and actually discovered my surroundings from a different point of view. Setting me this challenge was a cool thing. And I hope you did enjoy it as much as I did. Since all the episodes are on YouTube and will remain on my channel I do even look forward to going back to them sometimes, listening, enjoying and letting my thoughts drift.

Thank you so much for following the Melting Mind Sessions.

Did you like this post?
Make sure to subscribe and follow me on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date:

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts