Metapop - Taking on #Trailblazer - Part 2

Metapop - Taking on #Trailblazer
Part 2


Please find part 1 of the #Trailblazer challenge here.
In the meantime, I have not only been listening to the stems, I tried to start creating something with it. Fun fact: when I took my guitar and wanted to try to jam something over one of the stems, the first note didn't even play. I broke a string instead. Good start. #ThanksShibbster 


In terms of stems, I decided to focus on "Staccato Synth Arp" which is some kind of subtle squeaky sound. It provides a nice spheric sound in G minor - but I decided to change the root note of this entire track to G#. The stems that I decided to use within this file are now all transposed 1 step up.

Since I broke a string before starting to record something I was in the fortunate position that I could decide to put a different gauge of strings on the guitar. I decided to bring back some FAIL vibes, put on heavy gauge strings and tuned my guitar down to G# - which is 8 half-steps below the standard E. (ALL HAIL THE BR00T4L1TYYYYYY)

So initially the planwas to create something very harsh with it. I started jamming riffs onto the Staccato Synth Arp, but somehow none of the ideas I had in mind were fitting the mood that I wanted to create. But since I did not want to give up trying within the first hour, I started strumming some clean notes over it - and suddenly it started to grow on me in a different way. It suprised me and fascinated me from the very first moment, so I went on and started layering different clean guitars with finger picking and plucked palm muted notes. Just to give it a shot, I applied two different delays on them and to my ears: it was a perfect match to the stems straight away.

So as this kind of evolved on its own, the ideas in my head grew on their own as well, and I was finally able to figure out some riffing that was heavy enough to sound heavy, but not as heavy as it would scare people away from listening to it. I'm not used to that, but I think this is a "subtle heavyness" as it is still very groovy and even danceable given the mixture of different sounds by the stems put over it. What did help as well for finding the groove for the "more subtle" parts was the rhythmic pattern of the percussive sub bass texture. It just made sense and went pretty well with the flow.

As this was all kind of evolving on its own, it even got me tempted to make use of the piano stem, which I did not like at all by listening to them first. ...but this worked out well, too. And it continued and continued and continued and continued...

To put it in a nutshell: I am already done with recording what I wanted to record for this. 

Up next for #Trailblazer: Ranting about editing edgy played riffs to make them sound even more edgy.
(I feel already sorry for me)



Did you like this post?
Make sure to subscribe and follow me on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date:

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts